This hands-on tutorial demonstrates the core features of SlipStream by building a number of example applications through a series of exercises. The tutorial shows how SlipStream:
- Abstracts away differences between clouds, making cloud portability possible,
- Speeds application development by promoting reuse of parameterized application components,
- Ensures consistent, fast, and error-free deployment of applications through automation,
- Coordinates the configuration of an application’s component services to ensure reliable initialization,
- Improves reliability through geo-redundant services in multi-cloud deployments,
- Provides universal access through a web-base UI, command line interface, and a REST API, and
- Optimizes resource use though horizontal and vertical scaling.
The tutorial is divided into a number of modules that treat specific topics (see the Table of Contents). The first two provide an overview of the cloud ecosystem and SlipStream concepts. These provide a good foundation for understanding the core SlipStream functionality that is presented in Module III. The subsequent modules treat more advanced topics and can be followed in any order.
The exercises provided in the tutorial build on one another starting from a simple, single machine web server and ending with an auto-scalable distributed multi-component application. Solutions to the exercises can be found on Nuvla.
- Module I - Overview of Cloud and SlipStream (Basic)
- Module II - SlipStream Web Interface Tour (Basic)
- Module III - Creating, Deploying, and Managing Cloud Applications (Basic)
- Module IV - Scalable Applications (Advanced)
- Module V - Automation and Optimization (Advanced)
- Module VI - Data Management